embedded console for JPython ?

Andrew Fellows afellows at asc.corp.mot.com
Tue Feb 22 01:34:56 EST 2000

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get an interactive JPython
console into an java app currently under development. The idea would be
to use this as a way to dig into the app and test and tweak it.

Problem is that I'm not sure about the best way to go. After reading
through the archives and demos I figure the best way is to create an
Invoker class that invokes a JPython interpreter within a JFrame using
it's own thread, and on another thread, invoke the app. This way I see
the one java virtual machine and can get at the app easily via the
interpreter but it means I must write the interactive console bit,
something I had assumed was already out there.

I tried having the command line interpreter invoking the app but could
only do  this by invoking two instances of the jvm, not the desired
result.

So I am not only not sure about the best way to go but doubly so because
there doesn't seem to be much discussion about this, have I missed
something ?

Any pointers, sites, references and/or mind blitzing ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Andrew Fellows