Interoperable smalltalk implementation

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Wed Feb 9 14:44:26 EST 2000

Bijan Parsia wrote:

> There are several excellent free (in various senses) Smalltalks. There
> are some Smalltalks that integrate better than others. Some people
> *want* a "single world" approach, and some smalltalks accomodate them.

Okay, in this case I would be happy to be wrong. I would love to find
out that modern Smalltalks are more interoperable than the last time I
investigated.

Which implementation (and extension libraries) should I download to
write plain vanilla CGIs and which should I get to write GUI Windows
programs? I won't demand that they be the same implementation, but I
need good text processing (at least regexps) in both environments. I
would be very happy if the language dialects they supported was close
enough that an XML parser written in one would work in the other.

"The calculus and the rich body of mathematical analysis to which it
gave rise made modern science possible, but it was the algorithm that
made possible the modern world."
        - from "Advent of the Algorithm" David Berlinski
	http://www.opengroup.com/mabooks/015/0151003386.shtml