Python aka. Smalltalk Lite?

Bernhard Herzog herzog at online.de
Sun Feb 13 16:45:31 EST 2000

aahz at netcom.com (Aahz Maruch) writes:

> In article <1e5wxbt.bq9v2nqzwbxuN%bparsia at email.unc.edu>,
> Bijan Parsia <bparsia at email.unc.edu> wrote:
> >
> >Here's are some whimper inducing things for me:
> >        No class methods
> >        No super
>
> Yeah, I've been able to work around these, but they're somewhat
> annoying.  Note that I believe that Smalltalk has only single
> inheritance, so adopting super may be a bit difficult in Python.

It seems to me that deciding what super should do is quite
straightforward in Python.

Given e.g.

class Xyzzy(Spot, The, Looney):

	def walk_silly(self):
		super()

Then super would evaluate to whatever Xyzzy.walk_silly would evaluate
to if walk_silly weren't an attribute of Xyzzy.

--
Bernhard Herzog   | Sketch, a drawing program for Unix
herzog at online.de  | http://sketch.sourceforge.net/