PMZ - Apache AddHandler definition

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Fri Feb 4 18:09:24 EST 2000

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 07:45:12PM +0000, anthonydelorenzo at my-deja.com wrote:
> PMZ requires configuring the httpd.conf file for the Apache webserver.
> However, someone with normal user priveledges (ie using a web hosting
> service) cannot normally change this file.
>
> My imperfect understanding is  that I can override my local settings using an
> .htaccess file.  Do I put this in my user directory, or in my user/www
> directory?

Your understanding is mostly correct. Almost all configuration settings as
found in the global httpd.conf can be altered for a specific directory (and
automatically all its subdirectories) by placing a .htaccess file,
containing the configuration changes in question, in that directory. This
does, however, depend on a global configuration setting ;) Your site admin
has to allow overriding for your directory (AllowOverride <something> in the
directory/virtualhost block.)

Assuming you have the appropriate override permissions, and the site admin
did not change the name of the .htaccess file (it's configurable ;) just
placing the required config changes in the .htaccess file should be enough.
Dont forget to check apache's errorlog if it doesn't work. Most people
forget to look there, but it really does contain useful hints on what's
wrong. If you suspect one fo the ocnfig options is not allowed in .htaccess,
just use the (online) apache reference - it explains each possible option
and where and how to place it.

but-site-admins-can-be-real-bastards<wink>-ly y'rs,
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>