Dopy, Pyro or Fnorb: Examples of use and more

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Fri Feb 18 12:41:01 EST 2000

Thomas Weholt <thomas at bibsyst.no> writes:

> Just wondered if there are any examples, other than the ones in the
> packages, of use related to Dopy, Pyro or FnOrb.

Not that I know of. There are certainly applications of (some of)
those, but the authors of these applications usually don't bother with
making them available, as it will be quite domain-specific stuff.

For Fnorb, you can also look at the Python CORBA examples in ILU or
omniORB; they all work the same.

> I especially want to see how huge objects can be transferred between
> server and client. Are there any restrictions on this, other than
> those lined out in the docs, things that have come up in actual use
> of the modules etc. ?

Again, I can answer primarily for CORBA: In any of the
implementations, you can transfer arbitrary objects whose type can be
expressed in IDL, and nothing else. This means you can normally not
transfer arbitrary Python objects.

I doubt that any of these systems have restrictions on the size of the
objects you transfer.

> And, if anybody know of any reason to use any package over another,
> in terms of stability, speed, features etc. I mean, I don`t want to
> create a huge pile of code for something that won`t be updated
> anymore. FnOrb is Corba-stuff, and that bothers me. It seems to have
> alot of overhead/extra stuff that needs to be done for a project
> written in and for Python. Why would I care about Corba if all I
> want is to use, send and manipulate Python-objects?

I'd be curious as to why you want to send Python objects across the
wire in the first place, but that's probably a different topic.

Anyway, CORBA's prime advantage is that it is cross-language (and
cross-platform), so in a pure Python environment, you don't need it.
OTOH, perhaps you really want to send references to objects (instead
of the objects themselves). CORBA is very good at passing objects by
reference, and then doing remote operation calls.

Regards,
Martin