functional programming

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Feb 22 10:42:19 EST 2000

Moshe Zadka <moshez at math.huji.ac.il> écrit:

> Functional programming has a very clear definition: no side effects.

If you define functional programming that way, then I agree with you that
it would not be easy to make a reasonable Python program without using
assignment, ever.  Or more precisely, maybe, fully relying on function
argument bindings as a way to get rid of assignments.

What would be the advantages of using a "functional" Python, as per your
definition?  I mean, of course, in practice?

P.S. - Yes, I know it has been theoretically proven that we could design
computers needing no energy, if we could fully avoid side-effects, but I
beg to do not consider this a practical advantage yet. :-)