Whitespace as syntax (was Re: Python Rocks!)

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Fri Feb 11 02:27:12 EST 2000

Robert Eaglestone wrote:
> There must be a reason or rationale between 1) the ubiquity
> of bracketed syntax, and 2) Python deliberately omitting it.
> That is: there is a reason Python doesn't use it, and it must
> be a big one or else it just would have used bracketing.  I
> want to know what this compelling reason is!

scientific research.

> My assumption is that unless it vastly improves programming
> the confusion caused by following a nonstandard syntax isn't
> worth the change made.

have you tested this on humans, or are you just guessing?

(what I find so utterly strange is that as a programmer,
I'm working in an environment where I have to learn new
things every single day.  XML, Java, OO, UML, new tools,
Windows 2000, new protocols, Transmeta, portable com-
puting, WAP, etc, etc.  how on earth can you survive in
that world if you think it's impossible to learn to leave out
the end bracket when programming Python?)

</F>