An FTP based Python Module repository (was Re: Imagemagick)

chris patti cpatti at atg.com
Mon Feb 7 14:59:30 EST 2000

tim muddletin at news.vex.net (tim muddletin) writes:

> On 04 Feb 2000 11:50:22 -0500, chris patti
> <cpatti at black-racer.atg.com> wrote: >simply, it's an FTP archive.
>
> I'd just like to point out that the tragically missing resource that
> spawned this thread is actually around 2 or 3 years old (approx 1997
> as far as i can tell). That is three years in which the author could
> have uploaded it to the contrib directory at ftp.python.org if he so
> desired---right up until the time it was more-or-less closed down a
> few months ago.
>
> Alas, it seems, an FTP archive would not have saved us in this case,
> despite its many potential virtues.

Umm, I'm not sure where you're getting the "tragic" from.

I merely noted in my post that I felt a _centralized_ FTP based
repository of all the freely available modules in existence for Python
would be a Good Thing, because it would make things easier for both
maintainers and users as it would provide a central point of exchange.

/contrib on ftp.python.org != CPAN, you miss the point, I think.

What I'm referring to is not just an FTP archive but a controlled and
_maintained_ collection of all the modules.

Yes it would require work, and yes I'm willing to put my money where
my mouth is and help build such a thing if there's interest in other
quarters and archive space becomes available.

-Chris

Chris Patti \ Art Technology Group \ 617-386-1649 \ cpatti at atg.com