Life's better without builtins? (was: Life's better without braces)

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 25 14:16:26 EST 2000

Niels Diepeveen <niels at endea.demon.nl> writes:

> Michael Hudson schreef:
> >
> > Think module.__file__ & exec for reload.  Something like
> >
> > def reload(module):
> >     exec open(module.__file__[:-1]).read() in module.__dict__
> >     return module
>
> That seems a perfect replacement. (except for the [:-1]?)

>>> import string
>>> print string.__file__
/usr/lib/python1.5/string.pyc

Helps?  I don't know if it's *always* .pyc, so a true replacement
might want to check.

> So, only a few more hurdles before the release of PPython;-)

Believe me, I've thought of it.  Even started a little, but I got bored.

Cheers,
M.

--
very few people approach me in real life and insist on proving they are
drooling idiots.                         -- Erik Naggum, comp.lang.lisp