Which GUI?

Robert Roy rjroy at takingcontrol.com
Mon Feb 21 18:28:21 EST 2000

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 16:30:16 +0100, Gerrit Holl
<gerrit.holl at pobox.com> wrote:

>> > All GUI's have this feature, As Far As I Saw So Far.
>>
>> Tcl/Tk is not OO (at least not in its base version).
>
>Tkinter *is* OO, and the fact the underlying Tcl/Tk isn't bothers
>me a lot.

I think you are wasting your worries on something that is really not
all that important. The fact is that we use Tkinter when we program.
Tkinter adds an OO layer on top of some procedural code. Is this
evil?. No.  Is is unprecedented? No. Abstract it far enough and all
languages do it. I mean should it bother you a lot that the first C++
compilers (more accurately pre-compilers) actually wrote a pile of C
code then compiled it? No because that is an implementation detail.
Much like the link from Tkinter to the underlying libraries is. It may
not be a perfect model but it works. I mean if you have a high enough
pain threshold, I imagine you could bind the Tkinter interface to
wxWindows or GTK or... Of course you would lose operability on a
number of platforms but hey the world ain't perfect!

Remember OO is a philosopy not a language. Certain programming
languages happen to make writing in an OO manner easier than others.

:-)
Bob