[CORBA] omniNames feature request

Duncan Grisby dgrisby at uk.research.att.com
Wed Feb 16 06:10:23 EST 2000

In article <slrn8akbel.jla.kc5tja at garnet.armored.net>,
 Samuel A. Falvo II <kc5tja at garnet.armored.net> wrote:

>>Well, the INS does not, strictly, permit you to synthesize your own IOR; it
>>does provide for means to pass the appropriate parameters (host, port) to your
>>ORB and let *it* do the synthesizing (there may be negotiations involved with
>>the ORB of the NS).  You then get access to it through the ORB:
>>
>>  ns = orb.resolve_initial_references( "NamingService" )
>
>UUGH!  That's anything but well factored.  Once again, CORBA screws up.  :(

I'm glad to say that the above is not true. orb.string_to_object()
will now be able to accept URLs:

orb  = CORBA.ORB_init()
obj  = orb.string_to_object("corbaloc::foo.example.com:1234/MyTestObj")
test = obj._narrow(Example.Test)

if test is not None:
    # Use the test object

The OMG isn't quite so hopeless after all.

Cheers,

Duncan.