Where is Imaging.h?

Greg Ward gward at cnri.reston.va.us
Thu Feb 17 14:17:53 EST 2000

On 17 February 2000, Fred L. Drake, Jr. said:
>   I think this would be a good idea.  There are actually two Python
> include directories, one for $prefix and one for $exec_prefix;
> extensions would have to "do the right thing" here.
>   Greg Ward, I presume you've already thought of this and distutils
> supports it?  ;-)

Nope, I blew it and had to hack the NumPy setup script to install the C
header files.  Both Paul Dubois and I totally forgot about this need
until a NumPy user pointed it out.  Oops.  You're right though,
Distutils will need to be fixed to do this properly for other module
distributions than NumPy.

For the record, NumPy installs its headers to
   $prefix/include/python1.5/Numeric

which I guess makes sense.  C headers aren't normally platform-specific,
except for those of the config.h variety -- and in fact I believe that
most of Python's own headers are installed to $prefix, but config.h goes
to $exec_prefix.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could just say "Extensions
with platform-specific headers are EVIL".  Doubt it though.  ;-(

        Greg