Redundant elements in sys.path

Steve Holden sholden at bellatlantic.net
Tue Feb 8 11:18:19 EST 2000

Thanks for the response.  I guess I'll just have to be a little less
neurotic about sys.path!  More below.

"Dennis E. Hamilton" wrote:

> I have noticed the same thing with the python 1.5.2 for Win32 distribution,
> without PythonWin installed.  This shows up on Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE,
> although I thought I noticed more capitalization variations.  It appears to
> be an artifact of the installation process that appears harmless although a
> bit distracting when I look at it.
>         My hypothesis is that it may also be a redundancy resulting from capturing
> the Fat32 long file names as well as the underlying DOS forms of the file
> names, with no filtering for duplicates.  (Do those even make sense on NT?
> Does PROGRA~1 correspond to anything on your system?)

Windows NT does indeed use the name mangling process when it has to deal
with FAT filesystems, and this particular NT system did have a FAT
filesystem on drive C: when the messages were generated.  So PROGRA~1 is
plausible representation of "Program Files".

But that doesn't explain why only Idle has those entries.  I suspect
Idle
is adjusting sys.path according to its own ideas of what the install
directory is, and to pick up its own components.  And perhaps not doing
quite as good a job as it might: it looks a bit 16-bitsy.

> Related install question: Do you have Tcl-Tk installed as part of python
> 1.5.2 for Win32?  I noticed that on WIn98 there is a registry error (bad
> path to a Tcl-Tk library module) in that install.  I reported it to the
> Tcl-Tk folk and they said it doesn't show up in the Win32 installer for
> Tck-Tk versions later than the one packaged inside python 1.5.2.  I mention
> it now here before I forget one more time.

Yes, I had three Tcl-Tk related DLLs not get found when Idle started up,
for
example.  Rather than fix the registry entries I copied the DLLs into
the
%systemroot%\System32 directory, thereby leaving a bug for me to trip
over
when I upgrade :-)  Is that what you mean?

This is the vanilla Windows binary 1.5.2 distribution.  And jolly nice
it
is, too.  I really like the way Python takes the Windows platform
seriously.
I'd rather not have to use it, but since clients insist, at least I can
have good tools without having to Telnet to my Linux machine.

> -- orcmid

[snipped]

regards
 Steve
--
"If computing ever stops being fun, I'll stop doing it"