Python misconceptions in IBM Ruby article...

Gerrit Holl gerrit.holl at pobox.com
Thu Feb 17 01:42:38 EST 2000

http://www-4.ibm.com/software/developer/library/ruby.html:
> Ruby has been gaining popularity over the past few years, especially
> in Japan, where it was born and conceived. Its features, like Perl's,
> are designed to process text files and complete systems management
> tasks. Ruby is highly portable and easily customized, but primarily
> draws users because of its purity and readability. In particular,
> CGI code scripters are increasingly frustrated with Perl's occasionally
> enigmatic code and Python's inelegant and difficult syntax that requires
> "too much typing." Neither Python nor Perl were designed as object-oriented
> languages. Consequently, the OO features often feel "added on" and are
> not fully integrated into the language core, making for cryptic code.

Although I don't know about Pythons history, I'm almost certainly that
Python _was_ designed to be object-oriented. I can't see any facts about
Python in the rest of the article. "Python's inelegant and difficult syntax"
is the opinion of the writer...

regards,
Gerrit.

--
cat: /home/gerrit/.signature: No such file or directory