1000 GUI toolkits

Moshe Zadka moshez at math.huji.ac.il
Sat Feb 26 05:51:55 EST 2000

[me]
> I meant that the Python code would be in the HTML page, and would be
> compiled to a (say) wxPython (or ...) module which displays a GUI.
> After all, HTML has this fancy layout capabilities: all you would need to
> do is bind some callbacks...

[Boudewijn Rempt]
> I don't think so - you'd probably have to write an interpreter plugin
> or something yourself. Robin's idea is sound, though. When I needed a
> really complex grid layout for Kura, I decided not to try to bend PyQt's
> grid class to my wishes, but to use a HTML table that was displayed by
> the khtmlw HTML widget. Of course, when Qt 2 is bound, I'd use the
> canvas class.

Well, I don't want an "interpreter plugin". What I want is a "HTML+Python
to Python+GUI toolkit" compiler. Kind of like JSP, but the code is
executed client side. Think of a page with embedded JavaScript. It could
probably be compiled to pure (much more verbose) JavaScript:
"<H1>ffff</H1>" would be (pseudo-code) "switch to large font, print ffff,
switch to normal font". '<H1 onMouseOver="dosomething()">ffff</H1>' would
be, in addition, "bind to the text just printed to the event <Enter>,
the function dosomething()"

I'm not sure how feasable that is, but it's a cute idea.
(Think of it as automatic interface generation)
--
Moshe Zadka <mzadka at geocities.com>.
INTERNET: Learn what you know.