An FTP based Python Module repository (was Re: Imagemagick)

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Wed Feb 9 00:32:28 EST 2000

tim wrote:
[snip]
> I'm not advocating not uploading to ftp's, and I'm not saying a central FTP
> based archive (CPAN-like, or otherwise) would not be helpful or useful, and
> appealing to many! (After all, it's a fairly frequently recurring thread
> here---Deja search for CPAN in this newsgroup reports about 300 hits.) I
> wish you all good fortune imaginable in your pursuit of a central python
> FTP archive. I here merely muse over the curiously ironic case which this
> thread has spawned out of.

> Just ignore me. (-:

Let's not ignore you. :) Am I the only one who thinks that this 'archive of
Python modules' could be constructed pretty easily now that you gave us
Parnassus? We can write a script that translates Parnassus's structure
into directory structure, and then downloads everything through any
download link given. Add an extra link to Parnassus download pages ('cached'),
and open an FTP site if you like. Run this script once every while, or
continuously in the background of something. And there we have our
archive.

Am I missing something? I'm not saying *Tim* should do this all this
hard work (he's doing more than enough already), but am I the only one
who considers this quite doable given Parnassus?

Regards,

Martijn