BSDDB copyright and licensing restrictions while in use viaPython

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.russ.ru
Wed Feb 16 11:20:55 EST 2000

Evening!

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Gordon McMillan wrote:
> > And what's wrong with using Berkeley DB 2.0+ ?
>
> The only complaint was about the license, (although I think

   I am not a lawer, but I don't see any problem here. SleepyCat's FAQ
has clear statement (http://www.sleepycat.com/faq.html#A22):

22.Do I have to license Berkeley DB to use it in Perl or Python?

     No. The Berkeley DB license requires that software that uses Berkeley
DB be freely redistributable. In the case of Perl or Python, that software
is Perl or Python, and not your scripts. Any scripts you write are your
property, including scripts that make use of Berkeley DB. None of the Perl,
Python or Berkeley DB licenses place any restrictions on what you may do
with them.

> the use of the name "DB" is presumptuous).

   :)

> In a test of bsddb functions, Metakit will be much slower in
> adding, roughly the same speed in retreiving, much smaller
> and use less system resources. In a test of Metakit functions
> (select, join, nested views) bsddb will be a non-starter.

   Good analysis. Thanks. That exactly what I want to see.

Oleg.
----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies      phd at phd.russ.ru