Which GUI?

Peter Sommerfeld peter.sommerfeld at gmx.de
Thu Feb 24 00:24:37 EST 2000

Tom Loredo wrote:
>Pieter Claerhout wrote:
>>
>> What  about toolkits for the Mac. The MacOS toolbox is nowhere
>> mentioned, and also the problems we have with running Tcl/Tk
>> on the Mac are mentioned nowhere. Any suggestions on what else
>> will work with a Mac?
>
> I'm working mostly on Solaris now, but my Python work will also
> have to run on a Mac and perhaps Win also.  I've heard a few
> mentions now of problems with Tcl/Tk on the Mac (here and in
> regard to IDLE).  I've yet to give it a try, but before I do,
> what are the problems on the Mac side with Tcl/Tk?  And with
> Tkinter?  Is it just the mediocre Tk look-and-feel?  Does
> Tkinter not work at all on the Mac?  Are there particular
> widgets that must be avoided?

I gave TKinter on Mac a short shot about 2 years ago. It worked
well so far but the result didn't satisfy. There where some little
Look & Feel differences and Mac-User are pretty sensitive for
that :-). May be you can work out some work arounds but I prefere
using the Mac-Toolbox directly as (I think) most MacPython users do.
I think Toolkits like TKinter are ok on Mac if you use it for yourself or
as prototype only but its questionable if you want to distribute it as a
regular Mac-Application.

I would like to see wxWindows as well as OpenAmulet on Mac
but it will take some time until the Mac-Ports are available. And
OpenAmulet hasn't matured enough yet (I think OpenAmulet
and TK are the most Pythonic Toolkits of all).

Consider joining the MacPython List for more detailed infos
by others.

GUI's and portability, a never ending story :-)

regards

-- Peter