Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Feb 28)

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Tue Feb 29 08:49:57 EST 2000

<quote name="Fredrik Lundh" date="951816929" email="effbot at telia.com">
> Gerrit wrote:
> > >         http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=589175052
> > >
> http://www.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2000-February/046654.html
> >
> > Why do you link the pipermail archive sometimes but not always?
>
> does it matter?  you're supposed to click on the link if
> you find something that might interest you, not decipher
> the link itself.

Not everybody uses a browser for their mail, I don't. I find the pipermail
link far more readable so much easier to type over in my browser (yes,
cut 'n' paste from console to X doesn't work by me, unfortunately).

> (due to the intricate design of usenet, some messages don't
> make it through to the deja.com archive.  in other cases, the
> link collector stumbles upon something in a different context,
> and doesn't bother to look for it in deja.com)
>
> > > Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.
> > >   http://www.egroups.com/list/python-url-leads/
> >
> > Can't this list be hosted at one of python.org/starship.python.net?
> > It looks a bit [I-don't-know-how-to-say-it-in-English] to me...
>
> afaik, that link is obsolete.  if you want to submit something
> to the URL, post something interesting to comp.lang.python
> (or mail it to python-list at python.org), and hope that the link
> gathering bot picks it up.  the bot reserves the right to (yada
> yada).

I see.

> (besides, egroups is python powered.  even python zealots can
> use it and still sleep well at night)

Yes, I know. But many people disdain free services like egroups, (and
hotmail). I don't, but many people do.

(is 'disdain' used right here, by the way?)

</quote>

regards,
Gerrit.