Special Interest Group: Import redesign

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Fri Feb 4 14:05:45 EST 2000

(posted & mailed)

Aahz asks:

> In article <1262439853-442703 at hypernet.com>,
> Gordon McMillan <gmcm at hypernet.com> wrote:
> >
> >As a result of the Developer's Day session on Import Uitilities,
> >a new SIG (the import-SIG) has been formed. The goal is a
> >new architecture for the import facility in Python.
>
> To what extent is this SIG intended to cover the topics of packages and
> using a central codestore with DLLs on multiple platforms?  (The latter
> topic is more what I'm personally interested in.)

Packages are certainly central to the discussion (the
complexity of multi-level packages are a good part of the
reason the current system is groaning).

This morning I posed the question of which of the following are
in scope:
 - heterogeneous network installations
 - homogeneous network installations
 - multiple (conflicting) installations

I think the latter two are good candidates (mainly because
they're fairly easily handled). The first is a much harder
problem which, I suspect, most *normal* people would prefer
to sweep under the rug <wink>.

louder-Aahz-you're-sounding-very-muffled-ly y'rs

- Gordon