Which GUI?

Moshe Zadka moshez at math.huji.ac.il
Fri Feb 18 00:25:05 EST 2000

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Gerrit Holl wrote:

> I disagree. The latest gui war was over half a year ago, and
> wxPython was abandoned than. But it growed. I'd like to see
> an answer to ESR's question:
>
>      Why the hell hasn't wxPython become the standard GUI for Python yet?

Here's an easy one: Python is portable. Tkinter is portable. I could code
a Python GUI on an AIX machine with a brain dead C++ compiler in half an
hour. I couldn't get wxWindows (the basis for wxPython) to compile on that
C++ compiler for 2 weeks.

Sure, AIX machines are crap. But the beauty of portablility, is that you
can still code in the language of your choice on crappy machine.

tkinter-forever-ly y'rs, Z.
--
Moshe Zadka <mzadka at geocities.com>.
INTERNET: Learn what you know.