functional programming

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Wed Feb 23 03:05:23 EST 2000

[Tim]
> Optimize intermediate frames away, and tracebacks would become much
> harder to decipher.

[Aahz Maruch]
> Say!  Couldn't you use continuations to store those intermediate frames
> in case you ever throw an exception?

Yes.

> Bet-you-can't-tell-if-I'm-joking-ly y'rs

Well, the idea is so off the wall I can't call it correct or incorrect with
a straight face, and the idea is useless regardless (it's no more
space-efficient than Python 1.5.2, and the major point of tail-call opts is
to allow tail recursion in bounded space).  So, joking or not, this is one
of the only ideas on c.l.py this week I truly love <wink>.

now-if-only-we-had-rational-arithmetic-we-could-add-1-to-2-without-
    losing-precision-ly y'rs  - tim