Which GUI?

Gerrit Holl gerrit.holl at pobox.com
Sun Feb 20 13:40:12 EST 2000

Fredrik Lundh wrote on 950879742:
> btw, I just looked at the wxPython tutorial.
>
> every single example in that tutorial can be written in
> Tkinter, using about 50% as much Python code.  and
> things like layout management and event handling looks
> embarrasingly primitive compared to Tkinter.

Maybe. But for me, the show-stopper for Tkinter is that it calls
Tcl, not an underlying C++ library. Almost all other Python GUI's
have classes wrapped to C++ classes. That has two consequenses:
	* It's MUCH easier to translate C++ calls to Python calls
	  than translate Tcl/Tk calls to Python calls. So everything
	  needs to be double documented in Tkinter (okay, if you want
	  to take the time to document *everything*...)
	* It's up to 1000 times slower.

> methinks wxPython is superior to Tkinter in pretty much
> the same way as languages with braces are superior to
> languages using indentation...

The reason you named is the only valid reason I heared for keeping
Tkinter so far.

<quote name="Eric S. Raymond">
> Why the hell hasn't wxPython become the standard Python GUI yet?
</quote>

<quote name="Moshe Zadka">
> No it is not. It [wxPython] doesn't work on AIX. I truly fail to see how
> come Python, Tcl/Tk, Perl, bash, GNU grep manage to compile cleanly on AIX,
> yet wxWindows doesn't, but until it does, it is not an option for many
> people, including me.
</quote>

<quote name="Sulev Sild">
> You can download wxWindows snapshots for Aix and other systems from:
> http://www.lpthe.jussieu.fr/~zeitlin/wxWindows/daily/
> I've also compiled older release versions on Aix myself with g++ compiler.
> This was not trivial process though.
</quote>

regards,
Gerrit.