simulated annealing

Jochen Küpper jochen at pc1.uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Dec 6 05:42:10 EST 2000

Ok, here a two pointers to code I found:

http://margaretmorgan.com/wesley/python/anneal.py
http://correio.cc.fc.ul.pt/~jpp/classes/heur-main/node50.html

Both provide basic working implementations. I looked some more into
the second one, so far I haven't found a bug in that SA code, but in
my wrapper:O

Probably there are more people out here using SA without the need to
publish it on the web. If anybody with a more advanced implementation,
probably even ASA or such beasts would be willing to share their code,
I'd be happy;-))
(Tim, I couldn't do a "adaptive simulated annealing" NEAR python
search -- and couldn't find an implementation of ASA or such in python
yet:-))

Tim> Glad you have "found" Google. I had been hearing about how great it was
Tim> for several months before trying it.

Me too.

Tim> When I finally did, I realized how much better it was than Alta
Tim> Vista and Metacrawler.  (I used to like Metacrawler because it,
Tim> ostensibly, searches with N different search engines. In
Tim> practice, it doesn't find as much as just Google does.)

It actually searches google! And that is why I was confident it was
the right thing to use metacrawler...

Tim> Sorry if my "Come on, folks" language might have sounded harsh. I just
Tim> don't the patience to pad my comments out with the typical net.polite
Tim> bullshit:

Probably you could write what you did, besides the "com on folks";-)

Greetings,
Jochen
    Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité                GnuPG key: 44BCCD8E
        Sex, drugs and rock-n-roll