mail processing module?

Michael Haggerty mhagger at alum.mit.edu
Thu Dec 21 20:17:12 EST 2000

Preston Landers <prestonlanders at my-deja.com> writes:
> I'm trying to find out if there's any interest in a kitchen-sink
> Python module for mail handling.
>
> This module lets you send mail (using smtplib) and retrieve mail
> from either a POP3 or IMAP4 server.

This could be very handy.

Is there a reason to put sending and retrieving into a single module?
They seem easily factorable.

In fact maybe a better breakdown would be one module that represents
an email message and allows data to be MIMEd into and out of it, one
module for sending such messages via SMTP, one module for retrieving
such messages via POP, and one for retrieving via IMAP.  The
interfaces for the two retrieving modules should be as close as
possible, and ideally the interface to the mail-sending routine should
be generic enough that one could write a module with the same
interface but that sends emails by writing them to, e.g., sendmail or
qmail.

(Some of this functionality might overlap with existing Python
modules.)

Michael

--
Michael Haggerty