Just starting out!

Greg Jorgensen gregj at pobox.com
Wed Dec 27 03:52:42 EST 2000

"birdman" <robericv at my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:92buip$kcp$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...
> I just started teaching myself to write code and wonder if Python is the
> best way to go. Also, Is there a better book than "Learning Python" by
> Mark Lutz and David Ascher available for someone at my level.

Learning Python assumes some programming experience. Check out the free
tutorials at:

http://www.phrantic.com/scoop/tocpyth.htm

(Java and XML tutorials also available on the same site).

Look at the book "Python Essential Reference" by David Beazley (New Riders).
It contains an excellent reference (for Python 1.5.2) and a terse but good
tutorial. The other Python books I've seen are no better than
freely-available web resources.

Reading and studying code until you understand it, and experimenting with
your own code, teaches programming better than books and tutorials. This
newsgroup makes a good study hall.

--
Greg Jorgensen
Deschooling Society