Need Help sorting alphabetically.

Greg Jorgensen gregj at pobox.com
Thu Dec 21 02:18:07 EST 2000

<eff at my-deja.com> wrote:

> ...but they don't "throw out all other characters".  the original
> code matches his description, your proposed replacement doesn't.

I thought I was in your kill file already. Is it not working?

My proposed solution addresses the original problem as stated:

> > I would like to sort alphabetically (I'm not sure that is the correct
> > term) so that strings of alpha numerics sort alphabetically instead of
> > by ASCII order.

My code does that. It was someone else who proposed throwing out all the
non-alphabetic characters, which to me seemed wrong because the original
question specifically mentioned "alpha NUMERICs."

In any case I was legitimately trying to help, even if I didn't guess that
the question was really about sorting file names that may or may not be
missing leading zeroes in a numeric portion of the name. I wasn't trolling
the newsgroup looking to pick a fight.

--
Greg Jorgensen
Deschooling Society