How to make a GUID with plain python

Georg Gogo. BERNHARD gogo at bluedynamics.com
Wed Dec 20 18:07:08 EST 2000

Hello!

I am looking for a way to create a global unique identifier / UUID
with python. I found a way to do this with ActivePython in Windows,
but I need a solution for other platforms, too. (In ActivePython one
can use >>> pythoncom.CreateGuid <<< to get a global unique
identifier.)

The GUIDs use the MAC adress of the machine they are created at in
their algorithm. I start to think that this can not be done in python,
but I still hope that I am wrong in that point.

A plain python algorithm itself would be very useful, since one could
use it for RPC / COM as well as for creating indexes for distributed
databases.

Maybe somebody knows how to create a GUID with plain python, any help
is welcome.

Regards,
gogo at bluedynamics.com