Moving from Perl to Python

Steve Lamb grey at despair.rpglink.com
Wed Dec 13 18:32:13 EST 2000

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:40:04 GMT, Richard Zilavec <rzilavec at tcn.net> wrote:
>I just got back from two book stores, nothing on Python, I was
>shocked!  So I went online and found a pile but I hate ordering
>online, I like to browse through them first.  Anyways, I really like
>O'Reilly books, is the Programming Python really advanced or is more
>along the lines of the Programming Perl where it covers the basics to
>advanced?

    I didn't care much for Programming Python.  In all the ways that
Programming Perl is good Programming Python is not.  The former makes an
excellent reference book, the latter does not.  Personally I took the major
plunge into Python by attending the talk put on by David Beazley at the
O'Reilly/Perl conference in Monterey earlier this year.  Bought his book,
_Python: Essential Reference_, based on that talk and have been quite happy
with it.  In fact, I'm upset that I lost my copy somewhere along the way.  :/