2 question from a python newbie!

Remco Gerlich scarblac at pino.selwerd.nl
Thu Dec 21 15:32:07 EST 2000

G. Willoughby <sab at NOSPAM.freeuk.com> wrote in comp.lang.python:
> 1). Can python scripts be compiled to 'stand alone' .exe files?

Sort of. There is a utility ('Freeze') that packs your program and Python
itself into one big .exe, and it's stand alone then. But that's not the
usual way to use Python.

> 2). What's the best book/s available for learning python from a total
> beginers point of view?

There are several options. Alan Gauld has a nice website for total
programming newbies at http://www.crosswinds.net/~agauld/ . He's also
often helpful at the tutor mailing list. He has a book out now, called
"Learn to program using Python". It's brand new and I haven't seen any
reviews yet, but you can try his page first and buy the book if you want
to have an extended version printed on dead trees.

Other options are for instance "Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours" and
"The Quick Python Book". There are also more tutorials online, see the
Documentation link on http://www.python.org .

--
Remco Gerlich