Best documentation for writing wrappers for C++ classes

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 21 10:13:26 EST 2000

"David L. Humphrey" <dhumphrey at acm.org> wrote in message
news:9EB39E4E3AF64120.C259930B9E4BEFF5.1C1A4B99EAA59011 at lp.airnews.net...
> I have several C++ classes that I would like to call from Python code.  I

Not a direct response to your question, but, have a look at
www.boost.org -- the "Boost Python" library (nee py_cpp) may
be just what you need to make your life much easier (the older
but still good CXX is also a possibility).

> have reviewed the "Extending and Embedding the Python Interpreter" as well
> as selected portions of "Programming Python" but worry a little about the
> currency of these sources as well as the general tone of extending with C
> code rather than C++ classes.  Is there a document that is recognized as
the
> standard reference for this information?

"Programming Python" is indeed long in the tooth.  The "Python
Essential Reference", and the online docs, may be better bets.
But they're generally oriented to C... not to C++ specifically.

Alex