Source Code Management

gtalvola at NameConnector.com gtalvola at NameConnector.com
Thu Dec 14 10:51:06 EST 2000

If you don't mind paying money, I believe Perforce fits all your
requirements.  http://www.perforce.com/  We use it and have nothing
but good things to say about it.

And it has explicit support for being scripted in Python -- you can get
the results of its commands in Python marshalled dictionary format,
which makes scripting Perforce using Python pretty easy.

In article <fb4f3tsgffnmvme64aol1cn397te7ln349 at 4ax.com>,
  dale at out-think.NOSPAM.co.uk wrote:
> I'm looking for a source code management system for looking after
Python, Java, Javascript and
> possibly other languages too.
>
> Does anyone know of such a system that matches or comes close?
>
> Essential features:
> * Runs on Windows 2000
> * Works over the Internet (ftp would be good)
> * Secure (ftp level security would pobably suffice)
> * Module level version control with deltas or compressed archives
> * Package level (multiple modules) sign in/sign out
> * System level release control. (ie, this is now release x, note all
module versions for this
> release.)
>
> Desirable features:
> * Extendible - preferably scriptable with Python
> * Manage arbitrary files including documentation
> * GUI or command line interfaces
> * Low maintenance
> * Library stored as plain files and not in some odd database format
>
> That's not too much to ask, is it!  :-)
>
> Thanks
> --
> Dale Strickland-Clark