smtplib

qneill at my-deja.com qneill at my-deja.com
Wed Dec 13 16:56:55 EST 2000

In article <918lo8$6pg$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Brad <blosh at tsbrass.com> wrote:
> anyone know what this means...I am running Python 1.6 on HPUX10.20
>
> smtplib.SMTPHeloError:
>   (504, 'DNS verification of sending machine failed: no
>    mail will be accepted')

Most mail transfer agents (e.g. sendmail) require DNS verification
of hosts requesting services.  The remote MTA is doing a reverse DNS
lookup on your IP address as a way of finding out if you are a
legitimate client.

If you have a dynamic IP or are behind a firewall then you might have
problems with a remote system doing a reverse lookup on your machine.
Try another mailserver, or get reverse DNS working.

For more background info, try:
    http://linux.com/howto/DNS-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.3
    http://linux.com/howto/Mail-Administrator-HOWTO-3.html

Sent via Deja.com