How to get the os.system data into a variable

jicman cabrera at wrc.xerox.com
Tue Dec 19 12:23:29 EST 2000

Hi all!

I know that

t = os.system('ls -l')

return code and assigns it to t.  I would like to get the data, not the code,
that is resulted from the command into a variable.  (i.e.

-rw-r--r--   1 root     other        821 Dec  2 12:20 MyLog.txt
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         512 Dec 21  1999 TT_DB
drwxrwxrwx   3 root     root         512 Aug 18 17:05 apps
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           9 Dec 20  1999 bin -> ./usr/bin
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     nobody       512 Nov 28 12:31 cdrom
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Nov 21 20:10 cgi-bin
-rw-------   1 root     root      975040 Oct  3 11:34 core

etc.)

I know that I could do

t = os.system('ls -l > mytemp.txt')

and then read the file, but I would like to acquire that data w/o reading the
file.  Oh, and by the way, the command that I am sending is not really ls.  It
does not even belong to the unix world.  It's the output of a command from an
application that I have.

Any ideas?  It would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

josé