no current thread warning

Duncan Grisby dgrisby at uk.research.att.com
Sat Dec 16 09:12:13 EST 2000

In article <91dtv0$g93$1 at panix6.panix.com>, Aahz Maruch <aahz at panix.com> wrote:

[...]
># Dummy thread class to represent threads not started here.
># These aren't garbage collected when they die,
># nor can they be waited for.

This behaviour is a problem for any C / C++ code which creates its own
threads, then calls into Python. It would be nice if threading.py
contained a proper API for creating and deleting threading.Thread
objects for threads created outside of Python.

In omniORBpy, I have exactly this problem. The work-around is to
create my own threading.Thread objects, and manually manipulate the
threading._active dictionary. That's ugly because it depends on the
threading module's internal structure. The Python code to do it is
below. The C++ side caches the Thread objects so they don't have to be
created on each up-call from C++ to Python.

# WorkerThread class used to make the threading module happy during
# operation dispatch.
# *** Depends on threading module internals ***

class WorkerThread(threading.Thread):

    def __init__(self):
        threading.Thread.__init__(self, name="omniORB")
        self._Thread__started = 1
        self.id = threading._get_ident()
        threading._active_limbo_lock.acquire()
        if threading._active.has_key(self.id):