while true: !!!

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Dec 12 23:26:33 EST 2000

Carel Fellinger wrote:

> Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Firmitas, Utilitas, Venustas -- in *THIS* order, as Vitruvius
>
> No no, Beauty is the one and true guiding principle, Beauty and Simplicity.
> The trouble being that what one perceives as beauty has ever so much to do
> with ones upbringing. And elas, there are very few with an eye for Beauty.

Sounds like we are rapidly converging on Zen and the Art of Motorcycle
Maintenance: see c2.com/cgi/wiki?QualityWithoutaName, which not just
coincidentally mentions Python and then links indirectly to the
c2.com/cgi/wiki?PythonPhilosophy of Tim Peters, rapidly coming full
circle back to Beauty... ;)

In other words, this ends up a question of semantics: Quality is defined
in different ways to different people and whether you call it stability,
utility, *or* beauty, chances are you are really talking about the same
thing...