Python Database Interfaces - Any Standard?

Brian Knox brianknox at home.com
Sun Dec 24 10:48:01 EST 2000

I've been programming Perl for three years and I'm recently switching over
to Python for a project at work that is going to be JPython based. I've been
pooring over Learning Python and Programming Python (Oreilly) and I'm liking
a lot of what I'm seeing. Working with classes under Python looks to be a
pleasure and I can't wait to start digging in. I love Perl but OOP in Perl
isn't exactly clean and friendly.

One huge question I have about Python is: is there any sort of standard for
database access with Python? I've been coding Perl DBI apps as long as I've
been coding perl, and the DBI module is going to be sorely missed by me. Are
all of the Python database interfaces database specific, or is there an
abstraction layer similiar to DBI? Is there any one DB module for Python
that has been adopted as a standard by the community?

Brian Knox
Development Environment Engineer
Techtrader.com