Python in "math through programming" curriculum

Clifford J. Nelson cnelson9 at gte.net
Tue Dec 19 21:09:27 EST 2000

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Clifford J. Nelson wrote:
> > I'm sure I don't attach ANY weight to any of your opinions.
> > I've seen your web sites about Synergetics and programming!
>
> clifford, please keep your personal problems off
> comp.lang.python.
>
> </F>

You're right. I take it personally when Bucky Fuller's
Synergetics (see 1) is made to seem like some far out
religion, by Kirby Urner or anyone else, or when computer
programming in a language (Python) that can't apparently
help itself well enough to use it to make a good interactive
programming environment for the Mac, is promoted over much
easier languages, like Clean (see 2) or Object Caml 3.0 (see
3) or even the hard to learn J programming language (see 4).

All of those languages are garbage compared to Mathematica
of course because programming (OOP) is all just really
pattern matching and replacement (see 5), but they're free
and they work on both the Mac and Windows, so they are worth
looking at.

1) http://www.rwgrayprojects.com/synergetics/synergetics.html
2) http://www.deene.ufu.br/clean/clean1.html
3) http://pauillac.inria.fr/caml/