Python for prototyping of the user interface

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Sat Dec 30 03:59:36 EST 2000

Frank Miles <fpm at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> Python and Glade seem to offer these features, though perhaps without
> the same degree of polish.  Qt appears to have a significant cost
> if you're going to run on Windows :( [at least that's my reading of
> TrollTech's FAQ].

Not if you're going to use Python and Qt: since PyQt is just an
application using Qt, the developer can make it available for free. You
don't need a developers license for Qt to develop Python apps with
it. Phil Thompson got his copy of Qt from Troll Tech for free (after I
badgered Trolltech a bit), together with a Windows compiler and another
hd, so he has produced a PyQt for windows, which can be downloaded at:

 http://www.thekompany.com/projects/pykde/

It's quite easy to install, even for novice users of your
application.  And, as I said, it's complete - designer, ui
compiler and runtime environment. And all documentation, too.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org