function pointer

Andrew H. Chatham andrew.spambgone.chatham at duke.edu
Mon Dec 11 21:43:52 EST 2000

You could use a CObject, which is what I've done before, though it has
limitations. A CObject is really just a Python object that holds a C pointer.
See http://python.org/doc/current/api/cObjects.html . Of course, doing it this
way, you'd have to already know what kind of arguments and return values the
function takes and there's also the possibility that someone could pass a bad
pointer if they had a CObject from another module, since you cast it to a "void
*" to store and retrieve it from the CObject. So if you already know what kind
of function it will be a pointer to and don't expect people to go out of their
way to break your module, a CObject would be a good choice.

Andrew

--
Andrew Chatham
Duke University '02