Label-Value (was: Re: Inheriting the @ sign from Ruby)

Simon B. sbrunning at bigfoot.com
Tue Dec 12 12:04:54 EST 2000

> From:	Roy Katz [SMTP:katz at Glue.umd.edu]
> Okay! tell me, which are the objects which cannot be modified in
place? I
> assume these are int's, long's, float's, etc.  Strings, lists,
objects and
> dictionaries are call-by-reference.  Pardon my choice of diction, but
I am
> against inventing new terminiologies (modified-in-place??).

The correct terminology is mutable (for objects which can be modified in
place), and immutable (for objects which cannot). See
<http://www.python.org/doc/current/ref/objects.html>.

> I want to know where this is documented.  Specifically, where is the
> dichotomy of ints/longs/floats vs.
objects/strings/lists/dictionaries.

The built-in types are documented here -
<http://www.python.org/doc/current/ref/types.html> - including whether
or
not they are mutable.

> While I'm brainstorming with Python grammar changes, what about a
real &
> operator.  No more of this hokey is-it-modifiable-in-place-or-not
> business.  Explicit control is important.

Ugh.

Cheers,
Simon Brunning
TriSystems Ltd.