Programming Habits in Python

Mats Wichmann mats at laplaza.org
Tue Dec 19 08:52:24 EST 2000

>This really is the crux of the problem. In most large companies the emphasis
>is on getting the work done NOW, not necessarily getting it done in the best
>possible way.

Brings back unpleasant memories.  The only employment situation I've
been in that I really didn't enjoy was working for a medium-sized
outfit recently acquired by one of the larger ones.  The best
description of what we did was system integration. We really needed
reusable components to plug into the various related projects, and to
a limited extent the things we had were reusable - barely.  But
basically a small amount of time developing a really solid framework
would have gone a LONG way towards delivering much better projects, on
time.  This could not be done because there was nobody to pay for it.
Projects were to be paid for by the client buying the project. There
was no budget item to pay for in-house frameworks or tools. Of course
a client couldn't be expected to pay for someone /else's/ project.....

I lasted nine months in that place, and looking back I'm surprised it
was that long.