while true: !!!

Darren New dnew at san.rr.com
Wed Dec 13 18:48:29 EST 2000

Bjorn Pettersen wrote:
> In these cases the compiler doesn't need a temporary variable. If you look at
> the (unoptimized) output for your favorite compiler you'll see that they're
> identical [I only tested it on msvc, but if it can do it, I'm assuming other
> compilers can also <wink> ]

One of the very popular C compilers for CP/M used to not be smart enough to
optimize a post-increment with no side-effects. (At least, not be default.
It's been a while.)  So while this may have been a valid concern back in the
days of 64K address spaces, I would be surprised if any compilers written in
the last 5 years were thus limited.

--
Darren New / Senior MTS & Free Radical / Invisible Worlds Inc.
San Diego, CA, USA (PST).  Cryptokeys on demand.