A Suggestion for Python Colon Syntax

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Sat Dec 23 12:17:41 EST 2000

On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 11:50:28PM +0000, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

>  BTW, what was the real rationale for adding composed assignment operators
> (+=) to Python 2.0 (which I'm really extremely glad to have now)? Wasn't
> it meant to make Python more attractive to the people coming from C-lie
> languages?

No, honestly not. If that was the case, '++' and '--' would have been added
too. The funny part is that I never saw a concious decision not to add them
being made, everyone involved (Guido, Michael Hudson, me, the rest of
python-dev) seemed to naturally accept that the auto-inc/dec operators had
no place in Python, and that in itself is plenty of validation, don't you
think ? :-)

Guido-probably-made-all-decisions-about-Python-years-ago--he's-just-waiting-
 -for-people-to-_implement_-them-ly y'rs,
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>