Python as a first language (Was: A Suggestion for Python Colon Syntax)

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Wed Dec 27 19:21:36 EST 2000

William Djaja Tjokroaminata <billtj at y.glue.umd.edu> writes:

> At the present time, correct me if I am wrong, I think it is still
> rare that Python is one's first programming language.  People who
> start to use Python may already use some other popular programming
> languages.

You are probably right, but many of us hope that Python becomes common
as a language to teach to children; much as Logo was at some earlier
time. The CP4E project was working towards that, and I know a few
highschool teachers are interested, as well.

So I would not throw-away to easily advantages of the language when it
comes to newcomers.

Regards,
Martin