Great New Book

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 29 12:04:21 EST 2000

"Aahz Maruch" <aahz at panix.com> wrote in message
news:92ico9$jde$1 at panix2.panix.com...
> In article <t4o1vr8hktk531 at corp.supernews.com>,
> Jason Cunliffe <jasonic at nomadicsltd.com> wrote:
> >
> >The only shame is not the author's fault - it is the still crazy high
price
> >$45 and thick paper which bulks the 760pages to 2.5" thick.
>
> Hmmm....  I don't know how thick the pages actually are, but I sure
> wouldn't want a book to have tissue-paper pages.  It's a tricky balance.

63.5 mm for 760 pages works out at over 83 microns per page.

Rough comparison with a few high-quality books around here (O'Reilly,
Cambridge University Press, Addison-Wesley) appears to show a range
of, roughly, 30 to 60 microns per page.  And it's anything BUT
'tissue-paper' (or fine India paper, for that matter).  Over 80u/pg
is _really_ thick paper -- not quite cardboard, but...:-)

Alex