Label-Value (was: Re: Inheriting the @ sign from Ruby)

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at effbot.org
Tue Dec 12 12:53:23 EST 2000

Simon wrote:
> Pardon my choice of diction, but I am against inventing
> new terminiologies (modified-in-place??).
>
> The correct terminology is mutable (for objects which can be modified in
> place), and immutable (for objects which cannot).

Well, I doubt anyone who doesn't understand the meaning
of "modifying something in place" understands exactly what
"mutable" means...

(especially since the latter is as likely to mean "may change
itself" as "may be changed" ;-)

But maybe I should use "in situ" to make it sound a bit more
formal...

</F>