Customizing IDLE

Kalle Svensson kalle at gnupung.net
Wed Dec 20 19:32:29 EST 2000

Sez Brian Elmegaard:
> I would like to customize IDLE and use with another language. I mainly need to
> change the keywords list and the compile command.
>
> Can this be done easily, i.e., which files to change, and may I do it?

It should be easy to change the keywords, they are defined in the standard
library module keyword.  Change all 'import keyword' to 'import mykeyword',
which should be a module following the same format, but with your keywords.

Changing compile commands should not be too hard either, but I don't know
how to go about that.

I believe you are free to do whatever modifications you want to IDLE, as
long as you preserve copyright and stuff, but I don't know for sure.  There
should be some kind of licence distributed with IDLE, but I'm too lazy to
look for it.

You might be interested in http://idlefork.sourceforge.net/

HTH,
  Kalle