A Suggestion for Python Colon Syntax

Vadim Zeitlin zeitlin at seth.lpthe.jussieu.fr
Fri Dec 22 18:50:28 EST 2000

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 19:53:52 -0500, Tim Peters <tim.one at home.com> wrote:
>[William Djaja Tjokroaminata]
>> I saw many replies that give the reasons why the colons are
>> *needed*.
>
>Not mine:  it told you why the colons are *there*.  It's a human-factors
>thing, not a tech thing.  Desirable, not necessary.

 Isn't it desirable (although not necessary) to attract more people to Python?
IMveryHO any simplification of the syntax without any bad consequences (are
there any in this case?) would be welcome from this point of view.

 BTW, what was the real rationale for adding composed assignment operators
(+=) to Python 2.0 (which I'm really extremely glad to have now)? Wasn't it
meant to make Python more attractive to the people coming from C-lie
languages? And, if by chance it was so, why not continue making it even more
simple to use to the very same people?

 Regards,
VZ

--