Python legalities

lvirden at cas.org lvirden at cas.org
Sat Dec 30 07:24:10 EST 2000

According to Darren New  <dnew at san.rr.com>:
:Peter Hansen wrote:
:> Somehow I doubt the distinction between "free" and commercial software
:> is really that clear.  Is it definitely, legally, contractually the case
:> that you are completely safe licensing software for money from a third
:> party?
:
:Generally, that's one of the things that goes into the contract, yes. Not
:shrinkwrap contracts, mind, but real contracts where both parties agree.
:Someone can still come after you, but it's a much cheaper response to say
:"No, go talk to Joe" than to fight it yourself.
:
:The other choice, of course, is to buy your own insurance. I would imagine
:someone would be glad to insure you against that sort of stuff for a price.

Another path would be for free software to come with the same kind of
assurances as commercial software - that the software is judged free and
clear of such future legal issues and that, if not, the software identify
some agency who will 'take the heat'...

"See, he's not just anyone ... he's my son."  Mark Schultz